Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Three Series to Try Out This Wednesday: Knight and Squire #6, Bad Dog #4, and Darkwing Duck #10

Each Wednesday I'm going highlight three series that just aren't being given enough attention by my fellow readers in the hope that some of you will expand your horizons, pick up an issue (or book) and find a new favorite!

This week, we're recommending Knight and Squire #6, Bad Dog #4, and Darkwing Duck #10




Knight and Squire #6
Writer: Paul Cornell
Artist: Jimmy Broxton
Price: $2.99


The (sadly) final issue of this wonderfully eccentric miniseries,  Knight and Squire features a showdown between the Joker and all of Britain's heroes.  For those of you wise enough to be reading Cornell's equally sublime Action Comics run, you know you're in for a treat with his handling of DC's most notorious villain.  This miniseries is a bit odd, but it knows that and runs with its eccentricities brilliantly; for example, one of the previous issues featured a reanimated King Richard of Shakespearean fame as the antagonist.  On the art end of the equation, Broxton has been no slouch and he handles talking heads extraordinarily well.   This wonderfully British series is coming to an end and I highly encourage all of you to pick up the TPB if you haven't been following along.


Bad Dog #4
Writer: Joe Kelly
Artist: Diego Greco
Price: $2.99


I hate this book.  I hate that it only seems to come out with one issue a year.  I hate that the fact that it is possibly the funniest book I have ever read makes waiting for each issue interminable.  I hate that, even after only a few issues, I have fallen in love with the characters to such an extent that I absolutely crave more of their adventures.  I hate that it is so delightfully depraved that I feel dirty after reading it, even as I desire to read more.  I hate that the wait between arcs means waiting for more Diego Greco art, some of the most expressive, detailed and exuberant art out there.  I hate this book so much and wish its torments on you all.  Buy this book now people!  Also, if you can manage to track it down, pick up the first three.


Darkwing Duck #10
Writer: Ian Brill
Artist: James Silvani
Price: $3.99


Darkwing Duck is possibly the best superhero book on the stands.  While it has the added benefit of massive nostalgia from fans of the show such as myself, it also contains some of the best stories out there.  It is very funny, has wonderfully developed characters and can be genuinely moving at times.  Last issue left off with a tease of the hilariously ominous Duckthulu and I can't wait to see where they go with it from here.  This book is solid all-ages fun, but it's very enjoyable for readers of any page.  I personally can't wait to dive into my copy this week and I sincerely hope some of you check it out as well.


So, what are you guys looking forward to this week?  Let me know in the comments?

No comments:

Post a Comment